Cley Windmill is situated in the small coastal village of Cley next the Sea. Cley is pronounced as “clee or cly”.
Cley windmill was built in the early 19th century. It was not marked on William Faden’s map of Norfolk published in 1797.
The first mention was an advert in the Norfolk Chronicle of 26th June 1819, where the mill was for sale, described as “newly erected” and in the ownership of the Farthing family.
The mill was inherited by Lieutenant Colonel Hubert Blount, in 1934.
On 31 January 1953, the mill was flooded to a depth of at least 8 feet (2.44 m).
In 1960, Norfolk County Council and the Pilgrim Trust both made grants to enable the sails to be replaced, the council granting £500 and the trust granting £300 towards a total cost of £1,500.
The work was done by R Thompson & Son, the Alford, Lincolnshire millwrights. Further grants were received by Lt Col Blount from Norfolk County Council in 1963 and 1971.
Lt Col Blount died on 1 February 1979 and the mill was inherited by his youngest son, Colonel Charles Blount, father of the singer James Blunt, who spent much time there as a child.
This image may not be suitable for printing on glossy paper. However, this image is suitable for presentations, news letters, media, etc. and does print well on non-glossy papers.
Image size: 1832×1706
File size: 4544KB
Bit: 24 bit
Property/model release: No
Edited: Yes. Adobe Lightroom CC
Location: Cley Windmill, North Norfolk
Year took: 2020
Copyright owner: J. J. Williamson