Happisburgh is a village civil parish in the English county of Norfolk.
The village is on the coast, east of a north–south road, the B1159, from Bacton on the beach to Stalham. It is a nucleated village. The nearest substantial town is North Walsham, 6 miles (10 km) west.
The place name ‘Happisburgh’ is first attested in the Domesday Book of 1086, where it appears as Hapesburc. The name means ‘Hæp’s fort or fortified place’.
Happisburgh became a site of national archaeological importance in 2010 when flint tools over 800,000 years old were unearthed.
This is the oldest evidence of human occupation anywhere in the UK. In May 2013, early human footprints were discovered on the beach, providing direct evidence of early human activity at the site.
Land in the area has been lost to the sea for thousands of years. The civil parish shrank by over 0.2 km2 (50 acres) in the 20th century by the erosion of its beaches and low cliffs.
The erosion rate is the same as it has been for the past 5,000 years. In 1968, groynes were constructed along the shore to slow erosion.
In the 2001 census, before the separation of Walcott parish to the northwest, the parish (which also includes the settlements of Happisburgh Common and Whimpwell Green) had a population of 1,372 in 607 households. For local government purposes, the parish is in the district of North Norfolk.
This image was shot a minute before the sunset in the background to the left of Happisburgh Lighthouse.
Image size: 6000×4000
File size: 6.1MB
Bit: 24 bit
Property/model release: No
Edited: Yes. Adobe Lightroom CC
Location: Happisburgh Lighthouse, Norfolk
Year took: 2020
Copyright owner: J. J. Williamson