Norwich Market (Norwich Provision Market) is an outdoor market with around 200 stalls in central Norwich, England.
Founded in the latter part of the 11th century to supply Norman merchants and settlers moving to the area following the Norman conquest of England, it replaced an earlier market a short distance away. It has been in operation on the present site for over 900 years.
By the 14th century, Norwich was one of England’s largest and most prosperous cities, and Norwich Market was a central trading hub.
Control of, and income from, the market was ceded by the monarchy to the city of Norwich in 1341, from which time it provided a significant source of income for the local council.
Freed from royal control, the market was reorganised to benefit the city as much as possible. Norwich and the surrounding region were devastated by plague and famine in the latter half of the 14th century, with the population falling by over 50%.
Following the plague years, Norwich came under the control of local merchants, and the economy was rebuilt. In the early 15th century, a Guildhall was built next to the market to serve as a centre for local government and law enforcement.
The largest surviving mediaeval civic building in Britain outside London remained the provincial government seat until 1938 and was used as a law court until 1985.
This image formed part of a portfolio of aerial photography images shot during the first weeks of the Covid-19 pandemic and was featured in several press articles such as Norwich Evening News and the Eastern Daily Press.
Image size: 3576×2811
File size: 4.2MB
Bit: 24 bit
Property/model release: No
Edited: Yes. Adobe Lightroom CC
Location: Norwich Market, Norwich
Year took: 2020
Copyright owner: J. J. Williamson