This greyscale image depicts one of the more modern guard huts in Birch Grove, Auschwitz II-Birkenau concentration camp at Ofiar Faszyzmu 12, 32-600 Brzezinka, Poland.
Initially, the guard towers with a simple structure were erected around the fence in Auschwitz – four wooden piles supported the observation platform surrounded by a railing and covered roof.
Two SS men were usually on duty at night: one operated the searchlight and the other a machine gun.
Towards the end of 1943, they replaced them with new ones (as seen in the image), fully planked and equipped with windows.
They were made by German companies and delivered to the camp by rail in prefabricated form. They were completed in the spring of 1944.
The larger towers measured 4.5 x 4.5 m at their base and were 11.6 m high.
Image size: 2728×3955
File size: 2.6MB
Bit: 24 bit
Property/model release: No
Edited: Yes. Adobe Lightroom CC
Location: Auschwitz II, Poland
Year took: 2020
Copyright owner: J. J. Williamson